14 July 2013

Threadbare


I didn't expect this grief
to become threadbare

I didn't expect it to move in,
become something I owned,
claimed, defined myself by

I didn't expect it
to be a word easily spoken,
thin from overuse

I didn't expect it to soften
around my shoulders
the way a well worn pair
of shoes holds the shape of my foot.

But today my grief rises
three weeks after the night
I can't quite remember.
After the night
I remember vividly.
After the night
I remember the way
I look at stars
by staring to one side.

Grief rises,
mocking my attempts
to do the work before me
welling up
forming deltas of salt on my cheeks
rivulets
that collect in the hollow of my collar bones.

Here is my grief
my threadbare sadness
my frustration,
my scattered mind.
Here,
hold it up to the sky
and through it
count the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment