29 July 2013

Mountains

Iliniza Norte and Sur, Ecuador, Photo: Michael Gaige
In the landscape of grief, no two mountains are the same.

Last summer, my Grandmother Beatrix entered hospice. In September she celebrated her ninety-eighth birthday. She slept more and ate less, but still managed to tell a joke to anyone who had the time to listen.

I visited her in February, and found an old woman, owl-like in the slow turning of her head. I held her hand; she oscillated toward me, unseeing, smiling at my voice. I squeezed and her own fingers echoed my pressure. 

"Does anyone know a joke?" she asked, her own way of navigating the landscape of grief, her daughter's, my aunt's.

Later she grew serious, reserved. She asked who had been with Gail when she died. The next morning, after breakfast, she silenced us all as she announced "I have a daughter who died three days ago." Through this landscape, no two travelers follow the same path.

"I love you, ma chère grand-mère" I whispered, kissed her papery cheek. I knew I was saying goodbye.

She began to recede further, sleep longer, lose her tether on this life. On the twentieth of July, as she slept, she stopped breathing.

The landscape I explored this past week was familiar and alien. I down shift, I perform each moment in my day with the deliberateness of Tai Chi. Thoughts slide from my mind before they fully form, my brain replaced by shifting sand. But as I travel, no chasms breathe longing into my path, no sharp stones of grief catch me off guard. Instead memories surface that speak of celebration and gratitude. This path through the landscape of grief unfolds more gently before me.

And you, who embark on your own journey, Bon Courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment