10 July 2013

Solitude


This evening, I return home
Lake Colden Sunrise. Photo: Michael Gaige
build up the fire
chop onions and carrots
add them to oil in the pan.

In a moment
loneliness sweeps over me
I weep,
resting my forehead on the counter.

I flavor lentils
with salt and red wine vinegar
and spoon them over rice.

I eat slowly
eschewing the company
of computer or radio

I wash dishes,
and set them to dry

In solitude,
my heart softens.

I bow at the altar,
perform tasks demanded
by home and body.

I make space for tenderness
and tiredness

And in the slow passage
of days, I begin
to heal.

4 comments:

  1. Mike's photo

    Pink pool of compassion glows
    Holding the silence
    One with fragile reflection

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other auntie...July 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

    Sharing a favourite Gail poem in response to your Solitude, Jeny

    Absence

    Snow is the blank space
    on the mountains
    outside Cloverdale,
    sketched by a Japanese artist
    who sees outside the lines,
    a swath cut across pines,
    trunks, brittle grasses.
    Nothing there.

    Gail Larrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. So quiet. Simple activities. Reflection, mirrored so beautifully in Mike's stunning photograph. I can feel the healing happening as I read. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to all three sisters for your words. I love and appreciate your presence here.

    ReplyDelete