26 August 2010

Homeward/Onward


The idea of home baffled me as much on my return as it did on my setting out. But with goldenrod and asters adorning the roadsides and the days growing shorter, I knew it was time to find home. I packed my car again, then held to the interstates that pulled me south through New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia and finally Kentucky.

And while I’m not entirely home, nor am I still on the road. Slowly over the past week my key ring has accumulated first a mailbox key, then work keys, so that I no longer have the freedom of a car key alone.

But before I sign off, here are a few numbers:

To my 38 pounds of books, I added six titles and read, as Steinbeck promised, none. (I will say, in my defense, that the Important Bird Area book, my bird, butterfly and wildflower field guides, and my copy of Road Trip USA were well used.)

In fifty-seven days, I traveled 11,213 miles through twenty-one states. I spent 19 nights in campgrounds and only 3 in motel rooms. I never slept in my car. Twenty-eight friends and family occupied the other days and offered me guest beds, day beds, fold out couches and wonderful company.

I saw 213 species of birds including 39 life birds. Big mammals were more plentiful than I expected and I encountered pronghorn, bison, white tailed and mule deer, elk, moose, and coyote. I found fresh mountain lion scat (poop) and tracks, but alas, no sign of bear.

While I did not keep meticulous records, my average gas mileage was 36.2 mpg. My lowest was 26.9 (auto loop, rocky mountains and road construction); my highest, 43 mpg I achieved cruising across Nebraska on a secondary highway going 65.

There is very little I would have done differently, very few times I felt anxious about being alone. And now, I’m embarking on a new adventure and navigating the challenges from the helm of an 8th grade classroom. Thanks for your company along the way.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful log of a journey well-planned that also allowed for accidental resonance and side roads! This loyal reader hopes the blog will continue as a chronicle of the road ahead...thanks, Jeny, for the wonderful hitchhike!

    ReplyDelete