26 August 2010

Acknowledgements


The public library is an extraordinary institution. From Washington, Indiana to Brigham City, Utah, I was welcomed with a smile, offered a comfortable place to sit, free Internet access and a clean bathroom. Further, highly visible, green signs announce a library’s location. Special thanks to the Carnegie Library in Washington, Indiana; Great Bend Public Library in Kansas; Estes Park Public Library, Colorado; Great County Public Library in Moab, Utah; and the public library of Brigham City, UT. Two other establishments, while not public libraries provided free internet, clean bathrooms and a cool drink to boot: Robber’s Roost in Torrey, Utah and Latte Da in Lee Vining, California.

To my friends and family who opened their doors to me, fed me, offered me showers and laundry facilities, my deepest thanks. I also greatly appreciated your company after so many hours alone. I have, for the most part left you out of this blog, but our time together has furnished me with another set of stories that I cherish. Thank you.

There were, of course, others along the way who offered help, advice or company: the hiker in the Rockies who alerted me to the gathering storm; my birding companion in Utah; Miguel, his wife and daughter who provided a flashlight, beer and fire the night my tent went for a swim; and a host of incredibly helpful and enthusiastic park rangers who surely aren’t in it for the money. The rangers showed me birds, knew my whereabouts in the backcountry, confirmed locations on my map, and were generally excited and supportive of my spending solo time in the wilderness.

To cricket, my companion, my thanks for starting every time and for not complaining on 10% grades, washboard dirt roads and in 110˚ heat. Cricket went wherever I asked without a hint of trouble—not bad for a ten-year old lady. In that vein, my thanks as well to All Tech Garage in Ballston Spa, NY and Cloverdale Automotive for oil changes and safety checks. She wouldn’t have done as well without you.

Lastly, to all of you who met this crazy idea with encouragement, your support gave me the confidence I needed to drive off alone and keep going. I am profoundly grateful; it was worth every mile.

3 comments:

  1. I cast my vote with Auntie Gail: keep us posted! I love your writing. Big Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has taken me a while to catch up but I've read every post and am sad this part of your journey is over. I hope to hear more about the adventure you are on now.

    ReplyDelete