24 March 2013

Emergency - Gail

Black characters on
a white screen
leave little room for emotion,

but this email says it all.

Strained.
Seeking.

I wail.
I begin the business of finding out.
Words are thin.
A veneer of syllables
across the surface of a
life, fading.

Bleeding on the brain.

And then the call to confirm
what I already know.
My mothers' voice
sifts compassion,
wonder, and
sorrow
into my interrupted dreams.

Too early to rise,
too late for sleep.
Each cell abuzz,
a mitochondrial earthquake.
Rifting.

I book flights
and cancel,
             cancel,
                    cancel
everything else.
Vacation plans evaporate.
Library books return unread.

I sleep, I think,
curled around my partner's shirt
as if those empty arms
could offer comfort.

3 comments:

  1. Reading a Photo of Gail Reading

    Your eyes hold mine
    In this time since then
    As if the moment were. Still.
    Shown here in pastel
    But then in electric blue,
    As you let flow
    With your low voice
    Those soft images that
    Draw in the ether between
    Me and my mind, unfolding
    Slowly until the last line
    Opens a whole new milieu
    And we rush to meet
    What you already knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeny,

    Comment 1 is to share about an earier time when Gail was in her prime. A moment of my viewing a photo of her reading--she in California, I 'down under' but not-so-far from each other.

    This comment is to say that EMERGENCY-Gail is a brave posting about that frozen moment when the 'wail' welled up and escaped from your heart to your lips and into the air to join the cluster of such sorrowful sounds uttered by uncountable beings in this Saha world. That high, whining, involuntary expelling of breath that tries to make grief bearable.

    When that moment passes, your poem moves again, beginning the process that brought you to be by Gail's side with your mother and me, with Rudite, Laila, Cynthia and others close to Gail.

    How many times once you arrived did we hear someone else's wail over the phone or in a room or in their own poem when they learned of Gail's passing?


    Jeny, you write it well:

    Words are thin.
    A veneer of syllables
    across the surface of a
    life, fading.

    Bleeding on the brain.




    ReplyDelete
  3. Intense and visceral imagery. Sad moment creates a fine poem. Pain into art.

    ReplyDelete